Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Nick Fucking Cave

I don't really haven anything spectacular to add today, I just feel compelled to share how much I loved Nick Cave's film 20 000 Days on Earth. I know its been out for a while but I only just got around to seeing it on the weekend at the Rooftop Movies.

It was just fucking phenomenal. He talks about art, performing, transcending (Jubilee Street makes so much more sense to me now) the creative process and how your experiences and memories make you the person you are today (and ultimately influence your art). I would say its a must see for all artists, performers, creatives and fan's of Cave's creative genius.


There was one scene where he talks about connecting with the audience and changing something in yourself and in them to make a true artistic performance, which is interlaced with scenes from a live performance of Higgs Boson Blues. Towards the end of the song he crouches down to a girl in the front row, grabs her hand and holds it to his chest as he whispers to her and to her alone "Can you feel my heartbeat? Can you feel my heartbeat?" Understandably the girl starts crying and nods as he gets up and moves away to sing the rest of the song. I can't even imagine how powerful that experience would be. 

I will definitely be watching it again and taking notes of all the beautiful, poetic wisdoms he preambled around in his deep, melodic voice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment